Oats for the Win!
OATS FOR THE WIN!
I just can’t start the day without a bowl of warm oats! I’ve tried the low carb, higher fat breakfasts and it just doesn’t seem to satisfy me in the same way. So recently I have been having carbs at breakfast in the form of oats and luckily they are thought to have a number of great benefits. So if you are looking for a good source of carbs then why not add oats into your day.
BENEFITS OF OATS:
- Good source of fibre – Oats are high in both soluble and insoluble, which are vital for a healthy digestive system.
- Keep you fuller for longer – The soluble fibre in oats, in particular beta-glucan, slows the movement of food through your digestive system meaning you feel fuller for longer. Great for when trying to control your calorie intake.
- Improved immunity – Oats have been shown to help the body fight of bacteria and viruses, as well as potential fight cancerous cells.
- Good for cardiovascular health – Oats are thought to be able to lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of hypertension and heart disease.
- Slow release of energy – Oats are a low GI carbohydrate source, which means they are digested slowly. They provide you with a slower release of energy over a longer period of time compared to other sugary carb sources.
- Versatile – They can be used to make many different foods, such as pancakes, flapjacks, protein balls, smoothies and the currently popular “flex bowls”. Check out our recipe guide for Pancake Recipe!
- Tasty – This in my opinion is the biggest benefit of oats! Not only can you use oats to create a variety of meals and snacks, but you can add so much to them to make them tasty and interesting. For example you could add; berries, nuts, seeds, protein powders, dark chocolate, zero calorie syrup or honey to your oats.